Sunday, May 4, 2014

Today=only half fun

Today had been a day I had been looking forward to for a full year now. It was redemption for me because I knew I could do much better at the Lincoln Half Marathon than I did last year. I am on the slower side of the running spectrum, but after lots of strength training and lots of running I felt...and knew, I could beat my time from last year by a full 10 minutes. I crunched numbers all year. I took in account all of my training times and was fully confident that this was absolutely possible. My goal was very attainable.

I felt pretty good going into the race this morning. It was a chilly start, however I bought a cheap jacket at the Goodwill and tossed it within a 1/2 mile. I was off to a great start. Pacing where I needed to be. My 10k split was not where it needed to be, but I was still within my goal. I was heading to a fairly flat trail for miles 6-7 1/2 and was looking forward to no more hills until mile 8. So I am trotting along around miles 7-8 and realize that my right side of my back was in extreme pain, therefore my right leg was unable to make a clean stride. I decided to stop for a quick bathroom break and then headed back on track. Things were not right, but I had to finish. I had come so far, my goal changed and I just wanted to beat my last years time even if it was by 1 minute.

Well I ended up matching my last years time. Not what I had hoped for, but at least I didn't go backwards in training. I need to take a step back and decide if this running thing is for me anymore. I enjoy it and enjoy the racing aspect and atmosphere, but sometimes I just don't feel like I am making any progress. I have one more race in October, so I still need to train for that.

My husband really wants me to join him in the cycling world, so I am going to take a look at that. Easier on your joints for sure...and it would be something we can do together.

Looking back at today...and now that I am no longer feeling intense pain in my back...I am wondering if I was passing a kidney stone. I know, gross...but seriously, I know for a fact I was shaking them up...so who knows really.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...because last year on day 2 I couldn't walk.

Here are a few pics from the past few days. I met up with a mom and daughter duo from our church. They both smashed their goal times!

At the race expo
I was like a statue...freezing cold!
Post race at Memorial Stadium
The medal

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment