Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Let it grow, Let it grow, Let it grow!

I have never been a gardener. I love planting flowers (that you just have to stick in the ground), but they always usually die on me during the summer. Growing up, the only successful thing I remember planting was a sunflower seed in our front yard and watching it grow 6 feet. Last year I attempted to plant tomatoes, watermelons, strawberries, and pumpkins. Nothing grew.

So this is a new year and even though I am still clueless on gardening I am trying this gardening thing again. I got a few pointers from some friends. Se
an cleared out a really nice area for me and I started planting away. Sean planted some tomato plants and I planted rows of lettuce, green beans, watermelon, carrots, pumpkins, and cantaloupe. The girls, neighborhood kids, and I all planted sunflowers along the edges of our woods. I labeled everything with pretty little popsicle sticks so I can keep track. I have water the garden diligently when it hasn't rained and guess what....things appear to be GROWING!!! Ok, I am having a really hard time distinguishing between what are weeds and what is supposed to grow...a really hard time...so many little green things growing up. I know for sure my lettuce is growing...there are two little rows of sprouts. My green beans also appear to be growing. So I will keep you posted if we have any success this year...I believe we are off to a semi-good start...if only I keep remembering to water them!:)

Oh and the strawberries...something that I would absolutely LOVE the grow...I am going to a farm next week to pick some with the kids...no need to waste my
time growing those. Here are some pictures of the process so far! See our row of lettuce!!

No comments:

Post a Comment