Thursday, June 10, 2010

Freezer cooking!

My motivation to cook these days has been extremely low. It might be because the busy days of summer are starting and we are doing more outside activities. It might be because I have my on and off days of being nauseous from being pregnant. Whatever it is, cooking is not my favorite thing to do. Well we have to eat and unfortunately PB & J sandwiches for every meal are probably not my husbands first choice. My choice would be to eat out every night, but I am sure our waist bands would suffer. Anyways, last week my husband was out of town and I had an open night were I could serve an easy kid friendly meal. I decided to take advantage of the afternoon while my kids were napping and do a freezer cooking marathon. I have done this once before, but never in one afternoon. The last time I did this I was due with Easton and I just doubled recipes for a few weeks and slowly built up our freezer. I knew that this week would be extremely busy with vacation Bible school every night (picture below)

and I wouldn't have time to cook actual meals and have them ready for when Sean comes home, so the timing was perfect for this marathon. So I did it...I chose easy family favorites-- and cooked away. I boiled and cut up a lot of chicken and I browned a lot of hamburger and sausage. Once these things were prepared it seemed like it was easy sailing and I could start putting the actual dishes together. In the end I made 10 easy meals: lasagna, barbecue chicken sandwich meat, pizza, spaghetti pizza, beef enchiladas, chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup, sloppy joes, italian meatloaves, and chicken pot pie. Now the key is to remember to thaw things out in a timely manner to be ready to cook before we leave for VBS:)

Here is a picture of a few of the dishes..still working on the others.

So if you have a busy week coming up, maybe a lot of ball games, a baby due, family coming in town, or just don't feel like cooking every night, give it a try!:)

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY!! I love to make an extra for the freezer when possible. And Sloppy Joes 20 lbs at a time is the best!!!

    Good Going Julie!

    ReplyDelete