Friday, January 28, 2011

Rainbows!

The topic for this week is RAINBOWS!  In addition to the normal school stuff of bible time, reading, writing, spelling, math, time, money, and science, I am adding a topic of the week to our lessons.  I am blogging about it, because I will still have two more boys to teach in a few years, so it will be nice to look back and have ready made lesson plans!  I hope you are able to find a few ideas for you to do with your kids!

Day One:  We read the story about Noah.  Jocelyn has heard this story countless number of times…Katelyn is still learning it.  This story led into our topic of the week.

Rainbows aren’t just something that happens after it rains…it is a promise from God.  Read my post about rainbows for more information: http://gigglesandgumballs.blogspot.com/2010/09/rainbows.html

We discussed how rainbows are formed and the different color patterns in the rainbow.  We talked about how there is NOT a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow—or leprechauns dancing around rainbows.  

We worked on our memory verse for this week: 
Psalm 119:11:  Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee. 
The girls then colored pictures of what the ark was thought to look like and a rainbow.

There are many websites out there with FREE coloring pages.  This is where I found mine: http://www.coloring.ws/noah.htm

Day Two:  We continued talking about rainbows by discussing:

Ezekiel 1:28: Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.
As a craft the girls made rainbow collages.
 As a science activity I filled a glass bowl up with water and held it up to the sun.  We made a small rainbow on the floor.  Kind of hard to see, but the kids thought it was cool.
 We then made a rainbow cake.  I forgot about it in the oven as I was talking on the phone with a friend and didn’t hear the timer go off…oops…but it still turned out ok.  We decorated it the best we could with what we had.

 I layered it wrong, so it didn’t turn out with the exact same pattern as a real rainbow, but you get the idea.

You can visit a previous blog post to see other rainbow cakes that I have made:   http://gigglesandgumballs.blogspot.com/2010/09/cakes.html

Day Three:
We went over to a friends house to make crayons!  I will have a separate post on how this went early next week...so stay tuned.  Here are a few samples our final product though!  We also saw a rainbow outside!  Ok...it was from the water coming out of the car wash as we waited forever....turns out the car in the car wash was stalled and it took her about 10 minutes to come out and tell me...lovely...but we saw a rainbow!
This post has been linked up to Homeschool Creations blog.  Click the link below to see more blogs with many preschool activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment