Monday, April 8, 2013

Warning-- Graphic photos of me on this post!

It all started with this.
                                  photo courtesy of Mockingbird Cupcakes in Omaha...yum
Cupcakes. 

Well sweets in general. 

My husband and I both have a major sweet tooths. 

Major. 

I like making for things for him.  And then we both have to eat what I make. 

A few years ago I participated in a weight loss challenge with some friends.  I think there were maybe 40 of us.  Not sure anymore.  I got top 10 in that weight loss challenge. I remember that I did so good eating right.  Cutting out the sweets.  Drinking lots of water and no pop/lemonade.  Then it all went down hill from there.  I gained around 5 lbs since then (May 2010).  I know that isn't much, but I knew I could improve on a few things...and with swimsuit season right around the corner, joining another challenge was just what I needed.

A gal on my facebook consignment page announced that she was starting a similar challenge.  I talked it over with the hubs.  He said I really didn't have a chance at winning...thanks for the support...but I could do it anyways.  I didn't (and still don't) understand this whole weight loss thing...building muscle...etc.  Sean gets all of that stuff. 

Anyways, this challenge ended up having 62 or so participants.  The grand prize for having the biggest decline in body fat was $1152 to be exact.  That was enough for me to do my best to win.  I could buy a whole new wardrobe with that kind of change.  I would need to right...since I would have lost a lot of weight?

Well I worked hard.  I ate right.  I didn't calorie count on paper, but just keeping track in my head, I don't think I was consuming more than 1000 calories a day.   My diet consisted of chicken, tuna, spinach salads, hard boiled eggs, 100 calorie count keebler snacks, fruits, and veggies.  No pop or other sugary drinks (unless I was on a run).  Ok...actually I had one frozen margarita...so I guess I cheated once on the drink thing...and I splurged by eating a piece of cheese cake at the Cheese Cake factory.

 I worked out almost everyday.  I ran when I could.  Swam laps and did water aerobics.  Lifted weights and did runners yoga.  If I couldn't make it the gym or run outside I would bike 20 miles on our indoor bike.

I worked really hard.  But....in the end I didn't win the money.  I was a bit bummed.  I didn't even get in the top 10 this time.  There were some really motivated people in the competition this time around.  I was motivated...but there were some really, really, really motivated.

Looking back at what I could have done differently...and after talking with a friend who is a fitness guru--all around healthy eating expert-- I should have focused more on strength training.  My one day of actually lifting weights was not quiet enough.  Even though I lost twice as much as the winner in lbs she must have gained more muscle than me. 

My % decline of body was I believe less than 1%.  I am not positive as I didn't write all of the numbers down.  All in all in a matter of 6 weeks I lost 10 lbs. 

There is a part 2 to the challenge.  I am not participating. I need to focus in on my 1/2 marathon training and not be so worried about winning some extra money. 

Even though I didn't win a cash prize.  I still feel like I won.  My new jeans...are now too big.  I am back to wearing a belt.   My swimsuit is a little more roomier....and I just know I have a six pack that is getting ready to be uncovered....might have to draw some lines...but I know it is there somewhere:)  My goal is to lose another 10 lbs...and build some more muscle!

Here is my before and after pics...taken by my lovely Jocelyn. (we had to wear clothes that were light in weight).

and yes...I celebrated and bought myself a gourmet cupcake:)

ps.....If I can do this...you can to.  Seriously. 




No comments:

Post a Comment