Friday, September 20, 2013

We love games!

This week has been a much more "normal" school week for us! It is good to be back in a routine before things get a little crazy again next week. I plan on resuming normalcy in November! Thank goodness for the flexibility of homeschooling....or my stress level would be jacked up just a notch. The rest of September and October will be an extremely busy.  This will be my last post for the next two weeks because the kids and I are heading on a road trip to Niagara Falls....and other spots still to be determined!

I don't know if there is a kid out there that doesn't like to play games...especially when it comes to things related to learning.  My girls would much rather play a game instead of doing a boring workbook page or me just talking to them.

This past week we have played many spelling related games.  In third grade the spelling words have gotten quiet hard for my little chickas.  One is a semi-natural speller and is good at memorizing words the other is not.  So hopefully by playing game after game with their lists it will help with the memorization process.

The first game we played was Candyland.  In order to move a spot, they had to get a word right.  If they didn't the other person could steal the word and turn.  It took a bit longer than a normal game of Candyland, but the girls still had fun.
We did the same thing with Chutes and Ladders.  This game seemed like it would never end...darn slides.
We also had a spelling puzzle challenge.  I had each girl lay out the pieces to their own 100 piece puzzle.  They would then take turns spelling a word.  While one was busy spelling the word the other would work on their own puzzle.  So the longer it took for them to spell the word correctly, the longer the other person got to work on their puzzle.  They loved this game!
Easton didn't play any games this week...I really need to spend more one on one time with him. He would rather play around with his little brother, so that is fine with me.  We continued to work on Hooked on Phonics and did a few puzzles.  He really likes puzzles!
Easton also worked on counting and matching numbers.
and he worked on spelling.
The boys also helped me make chocolate chip banana muffins!  Yum!
If you want to follow my upcoming trip...join Instagram and follow me @blessedw4plus1





No comments:

Post a Comment