Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Some things to ponder....

If we didn't have the lovely world of facebook I probably wouldn't have a clue what Christian churches are up to these day....besides for what our church does in Omaha and for the local one we have attended once. I am baffled why churches that have mostly born again--believing congregations are starting to take part in "lent". So I have some questions that anyone might want to think about as people are starting their "lental" season.

~~~Where in the Bible does is say that we...believers...should give up anything? Like not being on facebook. Not drinking coffee. Not eating chocolate. There are several passages that talk about fasting. So yes if you feel the need to fast from food for 40 days..so you can focus on our Lord Jesus Christ...then go for it. If that is what you need to do...it IS biblical. Guess what...you can fast any time during the year! Not just during this "lental season". Guess what! The Bible also says that no one should know. No one. It should be between you and God only. Guess what! No one should command that you fast. Again...it is between you and God. So why then am I reading all over the internet what people are giving up? I shouldn't know that you are fasting.

~~~Where in the Bible does it say we shouldn't eat meat on Fridays? This always baffles me. I challenge you to send me an email or let me know in person where it says this. The only thing I can find in the Bible is that it says to eat meat. If we want to start going around making up things...I, Julie...queen of nothingness...declare that on Tuesdays we should not eat hot dogs. Those poor pigs. By not eating hot dogs on Tuesdays...you will get some sort of brownie points in God's eyes. Ok...that was just a joke about the hot dogs, but do you see how silly it is. I guarantee you...guarantee you, that when you are at the judgement seat of Christ...you will not have to answer about why you ate a burger on a Friday during your "lental season". It isn't in the Bible. Find it if it is. I must be missing something.

~~~For by grace you have been saved through faith and that it is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God. not by works lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9~~~

~~~That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto the Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. Matthew 6:18~~~


 

No comments:

Post a Comment