Sunday, July 20, 2014

Colorado Springs: Cliff dwellings, Red rock, Royal Gorge, River rafting, and Helen Hunt falls

We had a great time in Colorado Springs! If you missed my last few posts, go check them out.

The next stop on our agenda was the cliff dwellings in Manitou Springs. This was where the Anasazi tribe once dwelled. We all thought it was a pretty fascinating set up. The kids enjoyed going from room to room seeing how this tribe once lived.

We stayed across the street from the Red Rock Canyon open space. We were not quiet sure what it was, so Sean and checked it out one night without the kids. It was a great area to go hiking for miles and miles. I wore flip flops that evening, so we couldn't hike very far. There was also a little lake and swimming hole where a few kids were diving off of cliffs.


I really wanted to go see some type of waterfall. We had a choice between the Seven Falls, which cost money to see or a free one. Of course I chose the free one. We enjoyed our visit and hiked up to the top of the falls with three of the kids. Katelyn made it part of the way with my dad, but chose to walk back half way up and hang out with grandma.
On one of the days, Sean and I snuck away and went river rafting on the Arkansas river. It was so much fun! My biggest regret was that I didn't bring a waterproof camera. Next time! I can't wait to take all of the kids when they are older. We were pretty lucky to be in a smaller boat with one other couple. They were really nice and we had a nice time visiting with them.
The pic I didn't want to pay $25 for...I am behind the oto if the word photograhy. Sean is in the blue shirt.
After we rafted we went to see the Royal Gorge bridge...well kind of. We didn't want to pay $20 for a tour and the bridge is closed due to damage from either a flood or fire. Can't remember which. So we caught a glimpse of part of it...you can kind of see it in the pictures.
Stay tuned for Pikes Peak and Rocky Mountain National Forrest!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment