Monday, September 12, 2011

Season's of a Mother's Heart!

I joined a book club a few weeks ago in association with my friend Erin’s blog: Home with the Boys.  I was so excited about being part of this club…not sure why…I never liked reading things when someone told me to or being held accountable for reading something in order to have a discussion.  I enjoyed another one of the author Sally Clarkson’s books:  Mission of Motherhood, and the description of this book:  Season’s of a Mother’s Heart, caught my attention.  
So I joined in and am two days into reading this book…ok only a few weeks behind the book clubbers, but I am hoping to get caught up fast!:) I have only made it to page 50 and this book has already been an encouragement to me.  She has reminded me of some things that I have been struggling with.   

Choosing to be Thankful:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:  “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

Quote from book: “When I pout instead of being joyful, grumble instead of praying, or complain instead of giving thanks, I am in effect telling God that he is mishandling my life and I don’t care for the way he’s doing his job.”  

The “I” in this quote is Mrs. Clarkson, the author.  But it is almost like it should be coming out of my own mouth.  This is a great reminder to me that I am not in control of my life.  The Lord Jesus Christ is.  

I need to be thankful that because of him, and because of my belief that he died on the cross for my sins…such a self-less act…and then rose again…that because of him, I will one day live eternally with him in heaven.  

How can I not be thankful for what he does for us and our family?  

I do have to admit in our little corner of the world, I shouldn’t sit here and pout that we sometimes seem all by ourselves and only if….xyz would happen…I should be thankful that we do have a roof over our heads…I should be thankful that my husband does have a job….when many don’t.  I should be thankful for our kids and that we are able to feed and clothe them….when many struggle to just that.  I should be thankful that I have the will-power and patience to stay at home with the kids all day and everyday to homeschool.  I should be thankful that I can sneak breaks here and there and not pout if I don’t get a break for weeks at a time.  I am thankful for what God has given us….I just need recognize it more.    

What are thankful for?  Do you pout, grumble, complain?  I know I do…but I need to refocus and recognize I am not in control of my life.

Learning to be Content:

I have been struggling with this a bit.  I posted an ad before school started on our homeschool groups’ website looking for a babysitter twice a month during nap times, so I could have some alone time.  It is my dream to not have to grocery shop with the kids.  It is my dream to just have a little time each month that I could just be by myself to run errands.  Ever tried to shop with 4 little ones?…I do it every week…we have not died yet, I would just prefer to do it at a faster pace and by myself.  I have gotten quiet a bit of advice from friends…mostly to just abandon my husband when he comes home from work and just head out…I can’t do that…sorry.  It isn’t like he would say no or anything, but his days are long…yes I know mine are too, but long in another way…his home is haven…he shouldn’t have the kids dropped on him so I can be free.  This is my job.  My job is to be at home with the kids.  Yes I am sacrificing my freedom.  But in the end there is so much more that I am gaining as well as my little ones.  Yes, sometimes I gain a sour attitude after we leave a store because I swear this is the last time I am taking them altogether, but I lose the attitude once we are home, because I know that this is the way that it is…there is no turning back.  We survived.  There are never any fits and the kids do behave pretty well…they are just slow…little legs…little legs…they will grow.  Oh and little fingers…lots of little fingers….just trying to be helpful.  

So back to the topic.  Contentment.  I need to work on this…I need to be content and grateful for what the Lord has giving me.  This is my job for this season of my life.  

If you are my facebook friend, my status for today was:
Contentedness  will not come from being more organized, sleeping longer, being a better wife, keeping a nicer home, using higher-quality materials, taking more time for yourself, or whatever it is you think might help.  Contentedness is learned by accepting life each day as God gives it to you, and adjusting your expectations to life’s limitations. ~~ another quote from Season’s of a Mother’s Heart.

Will we do God’s will or our own?

No comments:

Post a Comment