Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Week 2: Preparing for school to begin!

I am starting school in 1 month and 2 days with the kids (well actually sooner...but that is another story).  Don't worry we will still be enjoying our summer, but I have some Bible related things that we are going to work on during the first few weeks of August.  Let's just call it behavior preparation training camp:) 

Last week I told you that I would feature something each week that is helping me prepare for the first day back at school.  You can visit my last's week post: HERE.  I made some fun and easy canisters to hold school supplies.

This week I am telling you about this little project:
I am working on fixing up our new school area and had these three canvases that I didn't want to go to waste.  I hated to see the Uppercase Living go....I loved this expression...but it didn't quiet go anywhere else in our house.
The first step was to mod podge some scrapbook paper onto the canvas.  I wanted to create a wavy look...ok...I had no choice....my paper just did that.  Should have taken my time to make it more straight.  But it is ok.
After the paper dried, I put one my favorite Bible verses on it:  Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  I used removable (not permanent) vinyl letters purchased from Hobby Lobby.  I used 1 inch and 2 inch letters to emphasize certain words. 
I then mod podged over the words to give them an extra stick.

After this I painted over the canvas and added a little extra details with stencils.  This was a work in progress.  I kept going back and added more color.  I should have chosen a lighter paint color for the base, because when I pulled of the letters, you could barely read what the Bible verse had to say.  To fix this, I used a white paint pen and filled in the words.  Not the effect I was going for, but you can now read the verse.  My goal was to have the scrapbook paper's color show through, but that didn't work in my favor.  Just too busy I guess.

I then painted a thin layer of clear gloss over the canvas to give it an extra shine...and whoola!!



I got my inspiration from Pinterest of course...HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment