Monday, July 15, 2013

Taking time for ourselves!

Can't wait to run to this peaceful setting in a few months!

Over the past year I have made a point to work on my keeping my body in shape...especially as I get older.  I know many of my friends and family struggle with this every day.  Our lives are too busy.  We put 150% into our kids and leave nothing else for ourselves.   I come up with my own excuses for not working out, but I have found the joy in being able to get out and run...even if it is for 1-mile (10-15 minutes) or a longer run.  I can hit reset.  I can think without the interruptions from the kiddos.  I can have me time.  I am doing something that will benefit me today AND in the long run.

In my Bible there are little devotional's for mom'I came across this devotional that struck a chord with me.  

       Doctors, psychologists, and other experts knowingly tout the benefits of physical fitness on general well-being.  Bottom line, when we're out of shape, we don't feel good an we tire easily.
      The break that many moms need is simply a walk around the block to feel the fresh air and get the blood flowing.  Some mothers need better nutrition--something other than leftover peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches and dry cereal.  And others need to lie down for a half-hour nap.  All these ingredients add up to physical fitness.
     While it's sometimes next to impossible to get that needed break, we can learn to take advantage of odd moments here and there.  We can get up early and go for a jog while our husband is home.  We can trade kids with a friend and take a walk in the neighborhood.  Weekends are a great time to begin a habit and carry it on into the next week.
    For many of us with overcrowded schedules, physical fitness is one of the first things to go.  We figure no on will notice.  Wrong.  Whether or not the lack of love for our bodies shows on the outside, the inside suffers.  And eventually, the damage will be demonstrated in the form of impatience, irritability and general grouchiness.  If a woman doesn't feel good about herself, she's less likely to treat others with goodness.
~~Mom's Devotional Bible~~

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20-- Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own.  You are at a price.  Therefore honor God with your bodies.

So if you are struggling to find time, find an accountability partner.  Whether it is your husband, a neighbor, close friend.  I will even offer up myself to you.  Seriously.  Have someone check in with you to see if you had some physical me time.  It isn't selfishness, it is one of the best things that you can do with the temple that God has given you.

I will leave with this last quote from Heidi St. John (from The Busy Homeschool Mom)
It's not time management-- It's me management!  We all have the same 24 hours in a day.

I am linked-up with:




No comments:

Post a Comment