Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Homeschooling conference!

As some of you know we are planning on homeschooling our kids. I am super excited that I am able to do this with our kids. Some people think it is kind of weird that I am a former public school teacher and am going to go against what I once did as a profession. Well to be honest with you, that was the icing on the cake. I loved teaching and loved the DECA side of my job. But there is a lot of wasted time in the public schools. Seriously, kids are in school from 8am-3pm and then come home and have a few hours of homework to do in the evening? Seriously. I just really don't want my kids to be tied down to the school calendar, someone else telling us what our kids should be doing during the day and evening, and I really don't want our kids to be turned loose into a school unmonitored throughout the day. So we are embarking on the world of homeschooling. In my head I feel prepared. I have been teaching Jocelyn since she was born...so far so good. Katelyn is picking up nicely on things also.
I had an opportunity to attend a local homeschooling conference with a friend of mine. Since I already had childcare (read previous post) I was super excited. We got a chance to look at curriculum and attend some interesting workshops. Some about the state laws surrounding homeschooling-- thank goodness we live in the wonderful state of Nebraska where there are just a few forms to fill out and we are good to go--. Another workshop was what to do with our toddlers while we teach-- got some great ideas, as I will be experiencing that! I got a sense of relief that I am going to be ok in this adventure. I already have everything needed for Jocelyn to start kindergarten in the fall. A piece of paper, a pencil, and my creativity...ok that is a joke...but really I am prepared:)

No comments:

Post a Comment