Saturday, April 24, 2010

Learning about senses!

The kids and I have been taking advantage of this beautiful weather. I decided it was time to go for a walk in the woods and do an activity focusing on a few of the senses. We talked about the different sounds that we were hearing--mostly birds and our neighbor yelling at their dog, because it almost got hit by a truck. Not really what I was expecting. We talked about our sense of sight. I gave each of the girls a bag and I would call off things in nature and they would find these things. Katelyn struggled with a few of the items, but did ok with most of them. We then talked about the sense of smell. Some things--especially the flowers smelled a lot better than others. We then laid out all of our findings on a table and talked about each one and their textures. I had them put each item into a bucket and close their eyes. I called off an item to see if they could use their sense of touch to find the item. Katelyn didn't do so well as she had problems not keeping her eyes closed. Jocelyn enjoyed the activity. I chose to skip the sense of taste--we focus on that probably way too much as both of my girls still have a tendency to put everything in their mouths! It is getting better though-- I now have Easton for that!:)

The girls getting ready to go out in the woods
Jocelyn running ahead to get some flowers off the treeThe girls focusing on the sense of touch

1 comment: