Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Season of a Mother's Heart: Planning to Live

I am taking part in an online book club for Season's of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson over at my friend Erin's blog: Home with the Boys.  I am a bit behind...supposed to be reading and reviewing chapter 6, but I am still on chapter 5. There is a lot to digest in chapter 5...and a lot to think about!

Chapter 5:  Planning to Live
This chapter had a lot to chew on...
      "I want to be sure that their lives will be measured by the right standard.  If they are known only for what they have learned or achieved or accumulated, then I will have missed the mark.  I want them to be known and remembered for the size of their hearts and for the number of lives they have touched for eternity."  Quote from Mrs. Clarkson-- author

How many times have heard or thought...I hope my child gets a college education...regardless of if they want to pursue something that requires a degree...I want them to be well off...so they can fulfill their dreams and the dreams of their children?  I want them to be the smartest cookie on the block or family.   Does this mean anything to God?
What will I want my children to know? 
Have you ever thought about that?  Most people might think...I want my child to well educated in Math, or Chemistry, or a foreign language...focusing on academic subjects....what about biblical values?  Does that have any place in society?  What were once commonplace in American society now are called out of place by a secular society.
 
A well-educated person will be useful to God only if he is focused on God's purposes. (pg. 97)

What will I want my children to be?
Do you want your children to be know for what they know or for what kind of person they became?  How would like to watch your own funeral take place and everyone talked about how smart you were and how well you knew Chemistry and how you could quote the entire periodic table?  I don't know about you, but I would rather people would talk about my heart and what kind of person I became.  Ever heard of character speaks louder than words? 

They (your children) will learn too soon that as they play in the weeds along the path of life they are just a few steps away from exploring the dark shadows in the forests of sin that lie beyond the path. (pg. 100)

What I want my children to do.

It is so easy to be busy all the time, to focus on academics, to be intent on character training and yet to neglect to give our children specific ways to work out in the lives of people what God is working in their minds and hearts.  (pg. 102)

The author was not referring to "doing" as what I want my children to do as a career.  She is referring to helping your children mold into a mature Christian...help them mold their hearts to have a servants heart...help them help others know Christ and learn to walk in his ways.  Help them understand the importance of helping around the house...or helping others without a grumbling heart.  Train them to be unselfish while serving others...mom/dad, grandma/grandpa, neighbors, friends, the lost, needy etc.   Help them look beyond their own needs and consider the needs of others first.  It boggles my mind when I hear parents say..."I hate to ask my son/daughter to do xyz, I just want them to be a kid and enjoy themselves."  "It shouldn't be their responsibility."  My question is how will they ever learn to put others first instead of themselves if they are never asked to help.  Yes they might grumble if they are used to not having to help...but how will you teach them this:
                                                          Phillipians 2:3-4
3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment