Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My mom update- this week

My mom and Joc at the Grand Canyon a few years ago
 Hey everyone!  Sorry for the lack of exciting posts of what we have been up to with school and fun things that we do as a family.  My creativity is lacking big time and I am just trying to keep up with the basics of school.

My mom's eyesight has not improved.  It is really just a waiting game at this point.  I am hoping her eye doctor will point her in the right direction as far as eye restorative therapies go.  I have been researching quiet a few things out there that she can try, but just waiting to see what the Dr. says.  Some of the therapies out there are not covered by insurance, so hopefully she can find something that works.  She has several appointments this week...eye doctor, family doctor, and another catscan on February 9th.  This catscan will see what is going on with the blood vessels around her brain.

As far as activity levels go.  She wants to do things on her own.  She really can't do much, but she really wants to try.   My dad took her for two short walks yesterday because the weather here was spring like.  Maybe they can take another walk today. 

My dad is planning on taking off work until my mom can go back to work.   I honestly don't see my mom going back to work anytime soon.  That is just my opinion.  The stress on both of them is great, so just pray that the Lord will provide patience for everyone.

Sean and I have been getting e-mails on top of e-mails of things we should have my mom try.  Different food regimes, healing practices, advice on what not to do and what to do....as of right now I have not passed on anything to my parents.  They are overwhelmed, as overwhelmed can be.  There are about 5 million different opinions out there as to what needs to be done.  I know a lot of people disagree with the practices of what Dr's have to say...but for right now they are just going to follow what their Dr. says instead of mixing 5 million different practices.  She attempted to get her blood pressure under control through diet, exercise, and other things last time.  It didn't work for her.  Yes, diet and exercise are important factors in reducing blood pressure, but that wasn't enough for her.  Maybe it is enough for you...or your neighbor...or someone else you know, but it didn't work for my mom.  Everyone is different.  So please do not e-mail Sean or I any more advice on what to do....it is getting overwhelming.  Thanks.

The sad thing was my mom knew this was coming.  She would tell me all the time, she knew it was coming.  She was lucky this time that her eye sight was just affected and not her mobility.   The chances of this happening again are pretty high...however she could go the rest of her life without having another stroke.  Only the Lord knows what is in store for my mom.  Her mom and dad both had severe strokes...so the cards as far as genetics go are stacked against her.

Please continue praying for both my mom and dad as they navigate through everything.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment