Friday, November 4, 2011

Amphibians & Reptiles

These past few weeks the kids have been studying amphibians and reptiles.  I am learning right along with them.  We have had so much fun discovering the differences between amphibians and reptiles...and we dug a little deeper into the differences between turtles vs. tortoises, alligators vs. crocodiles, lizards vs. salamanders, and we had a little unit on snakes.  We even saw a "large...in my opinion" snake in our yard....it lives under our slide....lovely.  I hate snakes.  We then wrapped up the unit by discussing where and how animals hibernate.  Since it is getting cold out there, I thought it was a suiting topic...and hopefully our snakes that are in our yard are hibernating...forever!

I have discovered that our library system has some awesome resources, as well as YouTube.  My kids and I just love watching videos on each of the little creatures that we studied...there is so much out there.  National Geographic online has some wonderful videos as well.

We did quiet a few activities relating to each of these topics.  I didn't take pictures of everything...sorry!


The girls (and I) made little lizards out of beads.

Studying about hibernation....thanks http://itsybitsylearners.com/ for the great printouts!
Our wall-o-art!


Making snakes with play-do

I also introduced each thing with a fun snack and the kids had to guess what we were studying.  Some creations were a bit tricky...but they were able to guess them all!
Hibernation...can't you tell the bear is going into his marshmallow cave and the snake is underground?? 
Snakes
Turtles
Lizards
Next unit....thankfulness and I really don't know:)

This blog post has been linked up to:




No comments:

Post a Comment