Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Seasons of a Mother's Heart: Light in the Darkness

This is my second to last post for the online book club that I joined over at my friend Erin's blog:  Home with the Boys.  I have been reviewing the book Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson.  You can check out other reviews every Friday on Erin's blog!

Chapter 11:  Light in the Darkness

I am having a hard time summing up my own thoughts on this chapter, when I completely agree with what Mrs. Clarkson has said.  Happened in the last chapter as well.  She just says things so straight forward and her thoughts just sit with me...and sometimes leave me something to think about.  Some quotes that struck a cord with me in this chapter were:

"Look for God's light when darkness comes."  pg. 210

So true.  

"First, I must choose to faithfully depend on God. 
Then, I must faithfully obey God.  
Finally, I must faithfully wait on God."  pg.  211

So true.  Again.  Sometimes we want answers right away to our prayers....sometimes it is really hard to wait for those answers...or maybe we don't agree with the answer that God has given us.

"There is nothing in this world that with strengthen you if it turns you away from God....not your husband, not a better life, not more money or resources, not more mature children, not anything."  Pg. 212
What type of things out there turn you away from God?  There are so many temptations in the world.  You might see a family that you would like to be like...but are they pleasing to God?  You might see a family with kids you would like your kids to be like...but are they pleasing to God? 

Without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek him. ~~ Hebrews 11:6~~

Do you have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ?  If not where does your faith lie?  

"We would have no reason to seek God if we always got what we wanted when we wanted it.  God graciously makes us wait so we will seek him and find him.  We sometimes need that extra time to realize he is what we really need."  Pg.  216 

I am going to leave you with this passage from the scripture.  Read it. Chew on it.  Take it to heart.:)

As David fled from Saul, he had reason to be afraid, to despair, to ask God to deal swiftly with his oppressor...but in Psalm 27 he expresses his fearless turst in God:  

Psalm 27:
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
   of whom shall I be afraid?
 2 When the wicked advance against me
   to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
   who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me,
   my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
   even then I will be confident.
 4 One thing I ask from the LORD,
   this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
   all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD
   and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble
   he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
   and set me high upon a rock.
 6 Then my head will be exalted
   above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
   I will sing and make music to the LORD.
 7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD;
   be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
   Your face, LORD, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
   the LORD will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, LORD;
   lead me in a straight path
   because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
   for false witnesses rise up against me,
   spouting malicious accusations.
 13 I remain confident of this:
   I will see the goodness of the LORD
   in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD;
   be strong and take heart
   and wait for the LORD.






No comments:

Post a Comment